Tuesday, June 5, 2007

a usual day

I literally stopped doing research since last month to focus on finishing my dissertation. The advisor gave me a go signal that I have more than enough already for my dissertation and so I can just concentrate on writing. The truth is that there are other smaller projects I haven't done yet; I don't know if I even have time to work on them. I really want to.

One of the things I have realized about myself is that I sucked at multi-tasking particularly on research-related tasks . I really do or maybe I should just start a different approach. For example, my plan is to work on my research in the morning and write in the afternoon. Say, by noon time, my research-related to-do-things didn't work out (which translates that I have not been productive), I get so absob with trying to make it work or at least try to understand why it doesn't work (most of the time it is hopeless) and I end up using the entire afternoon and most of the night and it is still NOT working. The next day, it is back to the drawing board. This happened to me a couple of times and so I was not able to do any writing which also added to my frustration. I cannot just move on to my next to-do-list! When you got stucked by a certain activity, when and how do recognize that there is no point in pursuing the activity that moment/day?

On the other hand, itt had been several weeks already since I had started writing this chapter I am working on and I am not done yet but I am getting there. This chapter has been specifically very hard to write. I cannot formalize my "story". I attribute this difficulty to my lack of writing practice/experience. My goal is to finish writing a draft that I can turned in to my advisor by the end of the month. Wish me luck :p

No comments: