Thursday, May 31, 2007

I am a Satisficer

Yes, I am definitely in a much better mood since writing my last post.

Yesterday, on my way home, I dropped by Barnes and Noble and read some magazines. There was interesting note on differences between a maximizer and a satisficer. I'm sure many of you have encountered these terms before but this is pretty new to me.

Maximizers are those who strive to make the best possible choice in every instance. Satisficers simply look for a choice that is 'good enough'. Apparently, maximizers are often quite successful and high achieving but they also tend to be less optimistic, less satisfied, have lower self-esteem, and are less happy than satisficers.

I am definitely a satisficer in a lot of things - both personal and professional. Once I made the decision, I don't look back or dwell on life's ifs. If things didn't work it the way I thought it should be, I rationalize that this is the consequence of the decision that I made given the best information I gathered at the time of interest. In other words, if thing go bad, learn from the experience. This is maybe because I am highly optimistic person. I believe everything happens for a reason.

Growing up, there was this awesome university I wanted to go to but my parents disagreed adamantly and to make matters short, I did not end up there. I enrolled in another awesome university and had the best time of my life and would not trade it for the world! There sure were sulking before enrolling but once I enrolled I forgot about the other one :D

I remember a time when a group of my friends were to choose between two events happening at the same time. Say, we decided to go to event A and we were really having a lot of fun. I wasdumbfounded when a person in the group asked us if we think the people attending the other event have better laughs. What is a better laugh? If you enjoy, you enjoy.

No comments: