Tuesday, November 6, 2007

What do you do?

Today is one of those days when I started the day with so much energy hoping to mark things off from my list of things to do for the day. Yet, I felt myself dragging as the day goes on. I don't know when things started to go wrong. Is it when I remembered that I still didn't receive the "favor" that I ask from my previous groupmate and it has been three weeks already? Or is it when my calculations going nowhere? The entire day, I feel the numbness circulating my entire being. I really find this irritating. What do you do for days like this?

I am interested to know how people manage multiple projects simultaneously. How do you organize your time for data gathering, learning new skills/techniques, reading journal articles, etc, etc?

I guess I still have learn to find my "balance".

3 comments:

JustMe said...

sorry you had such a tough day. for those days, i tend to just force myself to do enough to keep up and then put everything else to the side until i feel a bit more motivated. i know, not very helpful advise, but, it's how i deal with them.

wow, finding balance? yeah, that's a tough one. again, i don't know how helpful this will be because i'm not completely confident that my time managemet is healthy. at times it seems a bit obsessive, but it's how i keep up. i actually start by looking at what needs to be finished during a semester, and set goals for each month, from which i then further break things down to goals for each week. i break the weeks down to days, and then manage my time by the hour.

ultimately, crossing things off my weekly goals is my priority. my daily plan can easily be adjusted to fit various circumstances.

as far as having multiple projects, i tend to concentrate on one at a time. so i'll focus on part of one for a certain time, take a break, and then move onto something for another. it keeps me from feeling overwhelmed by thinking about several different things at once and feeling as if i have too much going on.

oh yeah, this may only work because i have a lot of difficulty sleeping. i'm not sure if this what you were looking for.

michelle said...

Hey, just me. Your comments are very insightful! I appreciate them very much.
As for sleeping, I don't have problem sleeping. I even think I sleep way too much like maybe 9 hours.

It seems to me that my anxiety stems from looking around my enviroment and noticing that all people are working very hard except me... ouch... Another thing too I feel overly slow ... ouch again....

But yeah, for now, my challenge for myself is that in a given day, I will try do some tasks that will give instant gratification as well as also work on stuff that can be frustrating (i.e. not sure if it will work). I think in this way it will not make me feel like I wasted my entire day.

Thanks again!

JustMe said...

that's a great goal - to have both instant gratification and the more frustrating long-term work in a day. you're right, finishing something does help with feeling productive for the day.