Saturday, April 28, 2007

Writing Reflections

The original purpose why I started this blog is to be able to write again.

I remember I used to like writing when I was younger. However, in college, I have not been able to do a lot of writing (not even free writing). This past few months, I have embarked on the dissertation-writing process and I have found it to be extremely frustrating. I have prepared an outline and I know the key points that I want to make but I cannot compose the story!

I feel that scientific writing is very limiting. I realize it is for different purposes, the main of which is to convey a technical information to the audience. I have noticed lately that it takes forever for me to compose a reply to an email especially if it is not just a simple yes or no. It is obvious that I have been lacking writing practice. I want to be able to feel how to write in my own voice again. I want to be able to express and discuss my opinions and ideas in a logical manner so that I will be able to be a more assertive person.

The lesson of the day for me is practice, practice, practice. Practice makes perfect as the cliche goes.

No comments: