Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Seeking A Well-Balanced Life

I love weekends, they are the best time to recharge, to slow down.

In my life, I am striving to find balance. How do you define a balanced life? For me, it means that I am not just focusing on one aspect of my life. I have diverse interests and I know I will be miserable if one aspect will be dominating my life.

In this regard, I am making a conscious effort of not spending all of my time with school-related activities. I enjoy graduate school (for the most part) but it is not all of me. I know early-on that if I will work 60 (maybe even 80) hours a week, it is never enough. If I finished the work on Monday, it should have been done a week before! Graduate school, to me, is a very personal experience. It gets whatever you are willing to give. This translates to me that I have the power to design my experience. Recently, my norm is to work during the day and do other things on the evenings unless there are (real) pressing things that needs to be done right away. (I certainly enjoy not having written exams anymore, I am done with it!) This is my comfortable pace now.

Did I become a lazy person? I hope not. However, I am a very laidback person. I did not want to admit this before because somehow I relate it to being lazy. Who wants to be called lazy anyway? not me ;) hahaha. For all of you guys, please enlighten me, is being laidback synonymous to being lazy?

As for my career plans, will I still survive academia with just this much time I am willing to spend? Who knows?

To improve this part of my life, I should strive to be more productive and efficient while I'm at work (basically means while at my office). To do this, I can start with limiting the time I spend on (unnecessary) internet use and stop procrastinating. It is so easy to say and write these things but it is sooooooooo hard to put them into action. Bad habits are indeed difficult to break.

No comments: